Monday, March 21, 2011

Star Saga




Interesting story. When I was little my brothers and I would play various computer games on an Apple IIe that we got from our aunt. These were games like Karateka or Moebius: The Orb of Celestial Harmony. One of these glorious game gems was Star Saga: One - Beyond the Boundary. The GIFs above are the maps that went along with this game. My brothers and I selected characters and started to explore this wondrous universe. Unfortunately we didn't get very far before our mother decided we were playing too many computer games and purged a lot of our after-school fun from our house. Years later I decided to search for this beautiful treasure and came across this. So I called up my brothers and revealed to them my find. Since none of us lived close to each other (we're all several states away) they gave their blessing for me to try it alone to find if it was as delightful as it was when we were young. Spoiler alert.... It's pretty close. What I would love to see is a program written that integrates all the parts of this game (the program in the link has you skipping from map to program to text) into one. Just sayin'. And, wow, I never blog.

2 comments:

Paris Saizan said...

I purchased and played Star Saga: One and thoroughly loved it. Wish I owned it today. Interestingly, I still own Traveller and love that too but a completely different game. Thanks for the screen shots of the maps - brings back some very happy memories!

Zenic Reverie said...

You may be interested to know I'm playing through Star Saga One at the moment and blogging about it. I found your maps helpful, but did you know that the unnamed planets at the beginning of the game are randomized in some way? A map with the locations already set isn't very helpful for repeated plays.

I was hoping to read about how your session(s) went, but I guess you don't blog that much.